(2.5% of overall score)
Companies can encourage their staff to adopt healthy diets and active lifestyles by including well-designed elements relating to these topics within their broader employee health and wellness programs. In addition to other benefits, these programs can help facilitate a company culture that contributes to a greater focuson improving the company’s nutrition practices. Companies should support mothers who have returned to work after having a baby to continue to breastfeed by offering suitable facilities and flexible working options. Companies can also help consumers around the world, including in populations with a high prevalence of undernutrition, to adopt healthy diets and active lifestyles by supporting education and activity programs that are designed and implemented by independent expert organizations. This Category assesses the extent to which companies support such efforts through three criteria:
E1 Supporting staff healthy and wellness
E2 Supporting breastfeeding mothers in the workplace
E3 Supporting consumer-oriented healthy diet and active lifestyle programs
To perform well in this Category, companies should:
- Set and achieve (or exceed) targets for participation in these programs.
- Commission independent evaluations of the health and/or business impacts of these programs, and publish these evaluations.
- Commit to not use brand-level sponsorship in association with these programs.
- Commission and publish independent evaluations to assess the health impacts that these programs deliver.
- Support third-party social marketing campaigns aimed at educating undernourished consumers (or those at risk of undernutrition) on a range of nutrition issues, including breastfeeding, the appropriate introduction of complementary foods, and the benefits of micronutrient supplementation, eating fortified products and a diverse diet.
Changes to the methodology compared to the 2013 Global Index:
The Access to Nutrition Index rates food and beverage manufacturers´ nutrition-related policies, practices and disclosures worldwide on a recurring basis.
Access to Nutrition Foundation
Arthur van Schendelstraat 500
3511 MH Utrecht
+31 (0)30 410 09 16